The lovely people over at Nothing But sent me some of their freeze-dried goodies to try. I set myself the challenge of using the Apple and Fig mix in a yummy baked recipe, and here we are! These wholesome, fruity cookies are just what the doctor ordered (quite literally, my GP has a sweet tooth). The Nothing But freeze dried apple and fig mix, along with the honey, give these cookies a very satisfying chew indeed. Filling and extremely moreish, I dare you to only eat one!
Chewy Apple and Fig Cookies
Makes about 30
100g (4oz) margarine (I always use Vitalite as it’s dairy-free and brilliant!)
175g (6 oz) soft dark brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
150g (5oz) self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
125g (4 oz) rolled oats
150g (5 oz) dessicated coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
24g (2x 12g bag) Nothing But Apple and Fig mix
1 egg, beaten
- Grease two baking sheets and preheat oven to 180°c, 165°c fan oven (350°F).
- Melt margarine, sugar and honey over a low heat, stirring every now and then to combine. Leave aside to cool.
- Mix flour, bicarbonate, oats, dessicated coconut, cinnamon and dried fruit in a big bowl.
- Add melted ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir. Add the egg and continue to stir until ingredients are well combined.
- Spoon up a small amount of mixture and roll in your hands until you have a ball the size of a small plum (yes I definitely had trouble trying to think of how to describe the size, please see the picture below!).
- Pop the balls onto the trays, spread slightly apart so they don’t end up as one massive cookie. As delightful as that sounds, they really aren’t easy to take to work and show off like that! Press down on each with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until browning. Cool on the tray for five minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Now, pop the kettle on, make some tea and enjoy a few of these with your feet up! Any spares, keep in an airtight container. Even for a serial snacker like me this is quite a big batch and I do usually have some spare. Sometimes I post some to far flung friends.
- Why not snap a shot (you know you want to!) and tag it #amysbakes on Instagram or Twitter so I can see your delicious wee creations!